Monday, November 14, 2005

science

Truly confounding. I'm learning more than I ever wanted about particle beam weapons, terra-forming, ecosystems, genetics -- to name a few topics.

Granted, any good writer has to research -- a friend had to research undersea archaeology for a romance novel -- but oh my, science just isn't something my brain wraps around easily.

But I forge ahead, because I want my novels to make sense to those whose brains do wrap around science. I'm not content with reversing polarity on the primary engine coupling to fix their propulsion problem, or using 'plasma weapons' which aren't practical at all.

Too many people in our society haven't a clue about science. I know I can't change that, but I don't have to pander to it.

Yes, I know, no matter how much I research, and even with dear friends like My Physicist to assist me, I'm going to goof up and have some really "out there" things at times, but I have to try.

I have to.

3 Comments:

At 14 November, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

I like science in spurts, especially when I find a philosophical tie-in. I've done more research on science-oriented topics as a result of reading Madeleine L'Engle than as a result of my educational process. :-)

I, too, have a hard time wrapping my mind around certain concepts, but I applaud you for digging in, despite the difficulty. The more we tie science into life, the more interest people will have in the intricacies and grandeur it reveals about the world God made.

(And BTW, I think history shows that the scientists don't always get it right, either. ;-)

Sherri

 
At 16 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well speaking as the Physicist in question I can't help but respect you for the attention to detail you have put in and put me though ;).

As always, if what I know can be of use to you, dear lady, then you only have to ask.

Jon

(And Sherri is more than right about scientists getting things wrong at the drop of a generally circular head covering)

 
At 17 November, 2005, Blogger L. S. King said...

Jon, what can I say? You must be masochistic to want to help with the current story. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home