Monday, October 24, 2005

Homeschooling

Sometimes I wonder about people. Recently I had the experience of finding out folks are not honest to my face, through what their kids said to my daughter.

Two persons, one I consider a friend, and another a friendly acquaintance, don't think that either I homeschool my daughter correctly or else think homeschooling isn't a valid option.

Makes me wonder about many others out there who claim they think homeschooling is wonderful.

My daughter does not know some of the things her public school peers do. We follow an eclectic method rather than textbook at this age and also follow the philosophy of the Moore's who claim "Better Late than Early."

But what will my daughter learn if I were to enroll her in school? I was amazed to hear from a local high school student that Martin Luther King was President of the United States. When I worked retail, I had to teach college students how to give a customer proper change -- among other things.

I do know the sort of writing the average high school student is capable of because as a writer, I also crit. (I must amend this to say I'm not including those who need to learn more about the craft of writing -- I recently gave a thorough crit to a young man who has an excellent story and has excellent writing skills when it comes to punctuation, grammar, etc. He merely needs to hone his fiction writing skills. No, I'm talking about kids who don't know the different between their, they're, and there, for example, and couldn't punctuate their way out of a paper bag, and have no concept of spelling.)

So I'll continue to homeschool my daughter, thankyouverymuch, despite false smiles from 'friends.'

3 Comments:

At 25 October, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're never going to get everyone to agree that homeschooling is a good option. Just as many homeschool parents look down on those who send their children to public school, parents who send their kids to school often feel that homeschooling doesn't provide students with adequate education and socialization.

My own opinion on this is simple - we each should take the path that God chooses for us. If that path includes homeschooling than we should do it to the best of our abilities and with all of our energy.

I've had my share of well-meaning people ask me pointed questions about my children's education. I'm always polite, but in the end, tell them the truth - homeschooling is a life style choice that works for our family. It's as simple and complicated as that.

 
At 25 October, 2005, Blogger BeckyJoie said...

We evaluate others' choices because we each see the world through our own colored glasses.

I used to homeschool my son. He is a teenager now and lives with his birthfather who sends him to public school. The truth be known, he is far ahead of his peers in the public school in many areas including socialization.

In addition, many colleges are chomping at the bit to enroll homeschooled graduates because of the superior education. The facts are the facts. Studies have shown the average homeschooler is much better educated and well-rounded than the average public or private schooler.

So the truth be told, I am prejudiced toward homeschoooling and tend to judge what I see happening in my son's public school through those glasses. It's natural for each of us to be convinced that our way is the best.

The sad thing is that people feel the need to discuss their negative opinions with their children, thus teaching them to judge others. I'm sorry your friends felt the need to do this to you.

I have a catch phrase I used to teach my son when he was ridiculed for our choices or our faith. It goes like this:
"What other people think of me is none of my business."

The bottom line for Christians though is that we follow the call God places on our own lives and for our children. It is His opinion that matters most. Keep up the good work following what God called your family to.

 
At 25 October, 2005, Blogger BeckyJoie said...

Oops, Even though I was an Elementary Education Major, I still mispelled Homeschooling, LOL. Must be due to a combination of private and public schooling, LOL. JK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home