Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Anecdotes

I worked at an electronics store for a couple of years back in the nineties. There were a few humorous things that occurred, and I thought I'd share one...


Our computer tech used to have me field questions for tech support, as he knew I could take care of simple problems, and it would free him to help those with more complicated issues. So, one time I answered the phone and it was a woman who just bought a computer from us; I recognized her unique voice. And winced. She was, hm, how can I say this nicely? ...Very computer illiterate. I anticipated a lengthy conversation helping her do something very complex, such as finding the "On" button.

She began, "My keyboard is missing some keys."

Me: "I beg your pardon?"

Her: "My keyboard is missing some keys. The computer keeps telling me to press the "Any" key, but there isn't one."

Me (trying to suck my cheeks so I don't laugh in her ear): "Ah, yes, well that model doesn't an "Any" key, you're right. But you can use the space bar -- that's the long, straight bar on the bottom row, can you see it? Great. It works just like the "Any" key."

Her: "Oh, that's wonderful! Thank you! But you know, you should really tell people about this model not having that "Any" key."

Me: "You're right. I'm sorry. I'll try to remember from now on."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home