Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sniff at Your Own Risk

I've always been sensitive to air fresheners, fabric softeners, scented laundry detergent -- anything with a strong odor. I have to avoid them.

Now, there's some evidence it's not just "in my head," as some folks have so nicely suggested.

A study by Ann C. Steinemann, PhD., Professor, UW College of Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering has revealed that many of these smell-good household items harbor dangerous, toxic chemicals.

When I first read about this, I did a search on Steinemann's name, and came up with many hits regarding this research, so it's not some untrue urban legend. Here's one article written including the information from her published paper:
[Pharmwaste] Fresh scent may hide toxic secret
You can find more if you wish to look.

Bottom line: cut back or get rid of those "nice-smelling" stinky things in your house.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 20 August, 2008, Blogger A Cuban In London said...

Good find. I could also add that as a hay fever sufferer there's I, too, have a sensitive nose and there are particular times during the year when I have to avoid certain odours. The situation is likely to become worse with global warming and all that jazz so we will all have to brace ourselves for a very smelly future world!

Greetings from London.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home